By Victoria Emma Pagán
- Tacitus is without doubt one of the most crucial Roman historians of his time, in addition to an excellent literary stylist, whose paintings is characterised by way of his philosophy of human nature
- Encourages interdisciplinary dialogue meant to interact students past Classics together with philosophy, cultural experiences, political technology, and literature
- Showcases new theoretical techniques that increase our knowing of this complicated author
- Clarifies and explains the notoriously tough language of Tacitus
- Written and designed to organize a brand new new release of students to check for themselves the richness of Tacitean thought
- Includes contributions from a vast diversity of validated foreign students and emerging stars within the field
Read Online or Download A Companion to Tacitus (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar historical studies books
Louis XI, often called "The Spider King" simply because he wove many problematic plots, lives on in well known mind's eye essentially as a villain and a merciless, crafty, quite unscrupulous personality. Absolutists fled to his banner when constitutionalists reviled him as a rapacious totalitarian assassin. In pictures of Kingship in Early glossy France, Adrianna Bakos makes use of the altering nature of Louis XI's old acceptance to discover the highbrow and political weather of early smooth France.
Michele Battini pursuits the severe second within which anti-Jewish stereotypes morphed right into a subtle, sleek social anti-Semitism. rigorously examining imprecise texts, Battini recovers the effective, anti-Jewish anticapitalist propaganda that cemented the belief of a Jewish conspiracy within the ecu brain, regardless of considerable facts to problem it.
This ebook presents a close and fascinating account of the way Hollywood cinema has represented and ‘remembered’ the Sixties. From overdue Nineteen Seventies hippie musicals comparable to Hair and The Rose via to contemporary civil rights portrayals the assistance and Lee Daniels’ The Butler, Oliver Gruner explores the ways that movies have engaged with large debates on America’s fresh prior.
The transmission of wealth among generations used to be not just a narrative ordinary in nineteenth-century France, but in addition a subject of substantial cultural anxiousness and extreme political debate. during this research, Andrew J. Counter attracts on a wealth of formerly unexplored fabric to teach how the subject matter of inheritance in literature and past received moral, historic and ideological connotations, and was once important to nineteenth-century French conceptions of the family members and of the legacy of the Revolution.
- Numbered Days: Diaries and the Holocaust
- Practicing History: New Directions in Historical Writing after the Linguistic Turn (Rewriting Histories)
- Reinterpreting Islamic Historiography: Harun al-Rashid and the Narrative of the Abbasid Caliphate (Cambridge Studies in Islamic Civilization)
- History and Sociology in France: From Scientific History to the Durkheimian School (Routledge Approaches to History)
Additional info for A Companion to Tacitus (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Tacitus (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Victoria Emma Pagán